Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Wanted - Swim Step for 2008 302

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by Todd Seigel, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Todd Seigel

Todd Seigel New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    North Hudson, WI
    2008 Cobalt 302
    Twin Mercury 496 Mag Seacore
    Bayport Marina
    Anybody have a swim step for a 2008 Cobalt 302 for sale? Mine was taken. Conversely, does anyone know if a swim platform from a 2012 302 (with the flip up step) will fit onto a 2008?

Tonka 2 and Tonka Boater like this.
  2. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Check Swimplatforms.com Ask for Scott Samuelson. He is the owner of the company. Exceptional product and service

Tonka Boater likes this.
  3. Todd Seigel

Todd Seigel New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    North Hudson, WI
    2008 Cobalt 302
    Twin Mercury 496 Mag Seacore
    Bayport Marina
    Thanks!

4. Keepin' It Classic

Keepin' It Classic Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Emporia, KS
    1979 Cobalt 19BR
    Volvo Penta 7.4 EFI/DuoProp
    2012 Ford F-150 w/3.5 EcoBoost
    This is only my opinion. I do like swimplatforms.com platforms on the older boats. (90's-early 2000's Cobalts) However, on a 2008 302, I would strongly recommend OEM.

From my experience, most swim platforms can be modified in order to fit. My gut says, if you can find a 2012 302 platform, it can be made to work relatively easy.

I will do some research and see if I can find a different answer between 2008 and 2012. I can't imagine them being too different.

Tonka Boater likes this.
  5. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    I'm going to debate you here a bit. IF you can find a COBALT original platform that fits with VEERY little modification you may have a point. However, if you have to modify something anyway why not go to a professional that does this on a regular basis?

I have been to, and toured, the Swimplatforms, Inc. facility in AZ. Everything they do there is first class. However, I just looked at their site and they currently do not offer a platform for Todd's boat. That doesn't mean they can't make one. I've worked with Scott Samuelson, the owner, in making a platform for a new model. And with the new popularity of the "flip-up, flip-down" models they may be willing to create one. Several years ago they didn't have mounts for tables built in. the one I bought was a prototype with the mount built in. Scott even threw in a table and said, "....give this a try and let me know how it works." They now offer removable hand rails for the ladders.

Todd....
    Most importantly, Scott's a boater and a former Sea Ray factory employee. He and his staff understand us and what we want. In fact I would call Scott at 602-431-8225 and tell him Shawn Murphy (me) told you to call him and explain your situation and see what he says. I guarantee he will be willing to work with you. Take a look at the website http://swimplatforms.com/index.html and look at the "Options" tab. Maybe it doesn't work out for you but what do you have to lose.

Tonka Boater likes this.
  6. Keepin' It Classic

Aug 5, 2017
    Emporia, KS
    1979 Cobalt 19BR
    From my perspective; a buddy of mine took a two tier platform from a 2005 era Cobalt 220 and modified it to fit his 1982 19BR, and it looks factory.
    I also believe that if a guy was going to make phone calls and spend the money on something brand new, he can almost definitely call a Cobalt dealership and order a 2012 platform with the flip step.
    I think it's awesome that you advocate for Swimplatforms.com, i'm sure they are a great company. For me personally, if I was going to spend the money I would go OEM.

Tonka Boater likes this.
  7. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Andrew, with all due respect.... It's going to be hard to convince me that a Cobalt swim platform from a 2005 model boat could be modified to look "OEM" on a 1982 Cobalt. The original platform on the '82 had to be teak. I would like to see pictures of that mod. I don't see how a modern platform could be made to look "correct" on a boat with a more "classic" line like an '82 19BR. I would love to see pics.

I have no personal or monetary connection to Swimplatforms, Inc. I advocate for them as I do any company I interact with on a personal basis that provides a great product and stellar customer service. All I was saying in my previous post was for Todd to contact both and see which might work best. I wasn't saying your advice is wrong. I was merely opening up another path. I honestly could care less what he does. I was only trying to illustrate there are other options available.

8. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    We're talking about a 2008 302, correct? Not a 1982. Also, I think Todd was asking about a swim step, not the whole platform. He mentioned that his was taken and can't imagine someone would take the whole platform. That would be pretty ballsy.

You both have good points on platforms in general though. I have a Swimplatforms, Inc. platform on my 1997 232 and it looks factory. I get compliments on it all the time. I brought my rig in yesterday to have a screw removed from one of my trailer tires and the manager wouldn't stop raving about my platform. He called 3 of his coworkers over to look at it. Now, he couldn't have cared less about my boat but he loved the platform.

On the other hand, if I had a 2008 I would be inclined to start looking at newer OEM retrofits as well to keep the with the modern contours. If I couldn't get an OEM to be retrofitted for a newer Cobalt I would look at Swimplatforms, Inc.

Keepin' It Classic likes this.
  9. Keepin' It Classic

Aug 5, 2017
    Emporia, KS
    1979 Cobalt 19BR
    I think in 2008 the 302 has a standing area built into the mold and a swim platform that mounts below... would be about 6 maybe 8 bolts to get it off. Yikes!

IMG_2120.JPG

Tonka Boater likes this.
  10. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Ron, Andrew and I were were talking about a couple of things. First, I may have misunderstood that Todd was just looking for the flip-down step and not the entire platform. I too was thinking how could someone get the whole platform off and why would someone take it unless theirs was damaged somehow. I now understand.

The second part was that Andrew said he had a friend with a 1982 19BR that took a platform from a "2005 era 220" and modified it to fit the 19BR. Being a visual learner, I stated that I had a hard time visualizing how any amount of modification of a platform from '05 could be made to look correct on a on the classic lines of a Cobalt built in the early 80s.

As much as I am a believer and fan of Swimplatforms, Inc. I couldn't imagine putting any platform on my '85 CM23 other than the teak style it came with. That would be like trying to modify the wings of a Cessna Citation X to fit on a Cessna 182....at least to me anyway. But I'm just one guy.... Makes for lively conversation tho....

Tonka Boater likes this.
  11. Keepin' It Classic

Aug 5, 2017
    Emporia, KS
    1979 Cobalt 19BR
    Hey, everyone has their own opinion! You might not like the rest of my restoration photos though.... lol.

Tonka Boater likes this.
  12. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Doesn't matter whether I like it or not, Andrew....what's most important is that you like it. I may not always agree with a particular modification or improvement someone makes but I have never been so close-minded that I don't appreciate quality engineering and workmanship. I would never own a wooden boat but I truly appreciate and respect the amount of work that goes into one to keep it looking beautiful.

13. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Getting back to the original question- will a 2012 platform with flip down step for a 302 fit a 2008 302.

I would get with the local dealer if close or send a question into Cobalt. I am not very versed on the stern of the 302, but other models seem to be very similar between 2008 and 2012. If I were a betting man, I would bet that it would work.

14. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    I would suggest contacting Cobalt Customer Support.

15. Keepin' It Classic

Aug 5, 2017
    Emporia, KS
    1979 Cobalt 19BR
    I reached out to a dealer on behalf of this thread and they said it would not work. When I asked why, the said that the mounting and brackets changed with the 2012 platform.

Which tells me, it will absolutely work. Find someone who can make the brackets. Just like Walt P did.

Dealer stated that when that platform came out they were flooded with 302 owners that wanted it.

Tonka Boater likes this.
  16. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    I had a few minutes to kill today, so I looked at Boat Trader .com at 302's. It would appear that the stern has not changed over the years on a 302. I found a 2009 and 2012, and they look very similar. Hope that helps. (2009 left 2012 right)
    2009 302-1.png 2012 302.jpg