Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Volvo Penta fuel pumps/fuel cell...early to mid 2000's

Discussion in 'Engines, Drives, Props, etc.' started by Sarge, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Sarge

Sarge Member Founding Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Kansas
    2002 Cobalt 226
    Volvo-Penta 8.1L gxi, 420 hp
    1998 GMC Yukon
    After my fuel pump went out this spring I found out a few things about the pumps. First, Volvo Penta for some unknown reason painted the inside of the pumps with a paint that does not hold up to fuel with ethanol (I bought the boat in September 2016 and only put clean gas in it). The paint flakes off and gums up the high and low pressure pumps and sometimes the fuel pressure regulator (protected by a screen filter). I also learned that Volvo Penta is very, very proud of their fuel pumps and their price reflects their pride at nearly $1300. If you nearly passed out at the price you are not alone...I can wait for you to recover.
    For those that can still focus, I found there is an alternative. Volvo Penta considers the fuel pump assembly (some call it a fuel cell) non-serviceable and should be replaced with a new assembly when it fails. Prior to 2017 nobody serviced them, but I found mancavemechanic.com. I have a rebuilt pump on my 2002 226 and so far it is running great through about 75 gallons of gas. Saved me a ton of money. I have no affiliation with mancavemechanic.com or anyone that may work for them other than as a customer. So far a very satisfied customer.

Walt P likes this.
  2. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Great tip and referral. I'm a Merc guy but I've heard about the problems with the paint on the Volvo fuel pumps.

Thank you for sharing!

3. Keepin' It Classic

Keepin' It Classic Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Emporia, KS
    1979 Cobalt 19BR
    Volvo Penta 7.4 EFI/DuoProp
    2012 Ford F-150 w/3.5 EcoBoost

When my Volvo fuel pump went out, the mechanic put a different pump on it. Tremendously cheaper. Some will argue that it shouldn't be done but he is respected in the industry and I trust his work!

Sarge likes this.
  4. Sarge

Jul 26, 2017
    Kansas
    2002 Cobalt 226
    1998 GMC Yukon
    Feel free to share the pump info if you know it-mechanic, too. I shouldn't have to replace mine again, but it will help others decide how they want to go about replacing their pump. Thanks for letting us know another much cheaper option!

5. Keepin' It Classic

Keepin' It Classic Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Emporia, KS
    1979 Cobalt 19BR
    Volvo Penta 7.4 EFI/DuoProp
    2012 Ford F-150 w/3.5 EcoBoost
    I'll have to look at it. If I am not mistaken, it's just an automotive pump, maybe not. This particular mechanic doesn't work for the public unfortunately. I see you're from Kansas, where from?

6. Sarge

Jul 26, 2017
    Kansas
    2002 Cobalt 226
    1998 GMC Yukon
    Except for when I was in the Army, Wichita/Sedgwick County has been my life.

7. r7boatguy

r7boatguy New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Florida
    2015 R7
    Volvo DPS-380
    There's some threads about this on t**********h. Repairs seem straightforward, sourcing the O-rings is probably the trickiest part.

Keepin' It Classic likes this.
  8. Sarge

Jul 26, 2017
    Kansas
    2002 Cobalt 226
    1998 GMC Yukon
    T*********h.com is an excellent site that I have found the information to be reliable. Mancavemechanic.com also sells an o-ring kit for about $20. Once again I'm not affiliated with them in any way other than I'm happy so far with the rebuilt fuel cell I had installed June 2017.

9. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    The other site being mentioned does have some good info...BUT, I'm trying to build a community here and not drive people to another site. Maybe someone could share the info here rather than send people away :)

10. Sarge

Jul 26, 2017
    Kansas
    2002 Cobalt 226
    1998 GMC Yukon
    I'm sure you know that was not the intent from either of us. I chose to not let it be an elephant in the room. In doing so I gave my honest opinion. That site is not specifically for Cobalt owners & enthusiasts. ClubCobalt.net is and this is where I have chosen to post. Hopefully you can tell by the way I have posted information it is reliable, honest and current and the other site I mentioned was for a specific service not available in this forum. I did not feel R7BoatGuy was sending anyone to the other site but I can see where someone might choose to do so to learn more on the matter. If it saves a Cobalt owner a dime, a minute on the water, or any stress at all I believe it should be encouraged! Why? Because it allows them to verify that the information they obtained at ClubCobalt.net was GOLDEN! I do caution that censorship of information, going beyond ensuring respectful communication and a value standard, would be a quick way to drive people away from the community we are trying to establish.

11. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    All of your points make sense and I understand that it's touchy, but it's common for forums to avoid driving traffic to the competition, so to speak. I'm not censoring, I'm moderating and, to your point, we're trying to build a community. It's hard to do that when we drive people to other sites.

Knowledge comes from many sources... some of it's from direct experience, some is handed down and some we glean from other sources. It's ok to relay information that we acquired elsewhere. It's ok to say, "Here's what was posted on another site..." We're a sharp group and we can discuss it here rather than pour through a thread on another site.

I appreciate the comments but please don't take it as censoring.

Thanks,

Rob

12. r7boatguy

r7boatguy New Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Florida
    2015 R7
    Volvo DPS-380
    I think you're missing the point of the Internet, but whatever. If anyone is interested, they can message me and I'll send them the link.

13. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Again, I think it would be more beneficial to our members if we summarized 79 posts from another site that spanned 4 years vs. sending them elsewhere to read those 79 posts. As I stated, I'm trying to build a community of knowledge HERE, not send others elsewhere. That's Google is for... to send people elsewhere. To be fair, anytime someone asked a question I could Google it then post a link to the results. That's not very helpful though. I'm trying to be a central source of truth for Cobalt owners.

Too summarize, I think MancaveMechanic.com is a viable solution to the problem.

Muggsy likes this.