Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

VHF Radio

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by EastwestR30, Aug 27, 2019.

1. EastwestR30

EastwestR30 New Member

Aug 27, 2019
    Florida
    2019 R30
    Volvo Penta
    None
    Has anyone installed a VHF radio on their cobalt? I’m shocked it isn’t a build option.

2. Tom Honey

Tom Honey New Member

Nov 11, 2018
    Garibaldi Highlands BC Canada
    Cobalt
    2003 263 C
    F350 Diesel
    Hi East West. I have handheld VHF. I got the Standard Horizon, HX870. I like it because it is waterproof and floats and has a large display. It can send a distress signal with your position automatically. It does not have AIS compatability. Tom

Walt P likes this.
  3. justpushplay

justpushplay New Member

May 23, 2018
    SW Missouri
    1992 Cobalt 255 Condurre
    Volvo Penta 740A DP 454
    2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
    Our 1992 255 Condurre came with a period correct Midland VHF radio and a Shakespeare 1/4 wave antenna installed.
    During the restoration, I determined that the radio could only receive, so I replaced it with a Standard Horizon GX1600 and a new Shakespeare antenna that matched the original perfectly. I don't have a build sheet for this boat, but it appeared to be a factory install. In hindsight, I should have purchased the GX1700, which has built in GPS like Tom's handheld HX780. Cobalt is still building their build sheet library for older Cobalts, so someday I might be able to give you a definitive answer.

Michael