Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Tonka Boater Intro

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tonka Boater, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Hello all,

My name is Rob Anonen, aka Tonka Boater. I'm really passionate about boating -- so much so that I created these forums and I also created a successful boating app called Boating Suite (boatingsuite.com) back in 2010. After 7 years it's still the top log book for boating on the App Store.

My real job is in business/management consulting -- the app and forums are just hobbies and they keep me connected with other boaters.

I really hope you enjoy the forums!

Walt P, Mklein, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  2. Cobalt Captain

Cobalt Captain New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Double Oak, TX
    1999 25LS
    Volvo 7.4, DP-S
    2010 Ford F250
    Hello, my name is Mark Bills aka "Cobalt Captain". My wife Deb and I love boating, spending most every weekend on the lake, weather permitting of course. Texas has a pretty long boating season, so our 25LS gets wet quite often!

For now, I'm a captain at a local police department, been here for almost 15 years. We're working on our retirement strategy, which will hopefully have us sailing the Great Loop on a much larger boat followed by retirement living somewhere in the Caribbean.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Walt P, Mklein, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  3. Shauna

Shauna Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Wichita KS
    2007 262
    Merc. HO 8.1 430 hp
    09 Chevy Duramax
    Hi, I have taught high school English for 23 years, and this year I will be high school counselor. We love spending our time on the water in the summer. My husband is the director of training for the plumbers and pipefitters apprenticeship here in Kansas. We have four kids with one kid left in high school. We don't get on the water as much as we'd like thanks to summer softball but I believe this was the last summer for that so I think we will see more water time! This is our third and favorite Cobalt. *As a side note we actually started a business in 1998 when we approached Cobalt with the idea of flagpoles. They like the idea and we manufactured those poles until about 2006. In about 2006 and 07 is when they started using the push button lock poles that were kind of like tent pole mechanisms. Apparently those didn't work very well and Cobalt had us start making them again until 2012 when they kept our design and started having them made overseas. Lucky for us there are a number of dealers that prefer the heavier American made poles. Now we sell to those dealers and will sell to individuals as well. We have a Facebook page TIG Tech Marine and a website www.tigtechmarine.com. This is not a sales pitch LOL I'm really here for the Cobalt camaraderie but I thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone is in need of a flagpole and would like to bypass Cobalt's s retail price. I'm looking forward to all the pictures and reading about everyone's boating fun!
    FB_IMG_1457474318206.jpg

4. Shauna

Jul 24, 2017
    Wichita KS
    2007 262
    Merc. HO 8.1 430 hp
    09 Chevy Duramax
    How Cool that you created that app!

Cobalt and Tonka Boater like this.
  5. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    I love the story and your flagpoles! Be sure to put a link to your flag pole business in your signature.

Shauna and Cobalt like this.
  6. Shauna

Jul 24, 2017
    Wichita KS
    2007 262
    Merc. HO 8.1 430 hp
    09 Chevy Duramax
    Thanks! Good thinking!

Cobalt likes this.
  7. Chuck Hester

Chuck Hester New Member Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Maryland
    2016 R3
    6.2l Merc 300hp
    We had a '99 Cobalt 206 and after entertaining several family members and friends on the boat, we quickly realized it was a tad too small for us despite being a fantastic boat. Enter our new R3! Night and day difference - we love the boat. Unfortunately, shortly after taking delivery, we discovered a trash panda had apparently taken up residence in our ski locker. It had destroyed all of our swim noodles and had chewed on several boat components along with leaving us with several 'treasures'. This was a first for me...and not so pleasant. Regardless, these boats are simply badass and hope to enjoy many years on the lake with the family and friends.

[​IMG]

BradMorrow77, Walt P, Shauna and 2 others like this.
  8. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Wow...love it! Bummer about the raccoons though...I would not be happy!

Cobalt likes this.
  9. Aaron

Aaron New Member Founding Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Heyworth, Il
    2000 292
    Twin Merc 6.2
    Ram 2500
    Good Morning,
    Thanks for creating the platform. When does the app launch? ;-)
    We have a 292 and are in the process of upgrading to something we can sleep on. We've had the 292 for 7 years and love it! Our kids are getting older and getting too busy (cool) to hang with mom and dad. We love Cobalt boats and have been actively converting our boating friends to Cobalt people.

I'm President and CEO of a Zdi, Inc and RoomReady.com. We develop and deploy meeting room solutions for enterprise organizations.

10. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Thanks Aaron! It's great to have you onboard!

11. Sarge

Sarge Member Founding Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Kansas
    2002 Cobalt 226
    Volvo-Penta 8.1L gxi, 420 hp
    1998 GMC Yukon
    Hi, I'm Jeff and just got into boating last year. I had been out on boats a very few times in my teens and twenties and loved the experience and always wanted a boat of my own. Last September I made a round trip from Wichita, KS to Angola, IN where I bought my '02 226. I did a lot of research on boats before I bought and knew I needed a Cobalt.
    I've had it on a few lakes in Oklahoma and Kansas and spent the 4th of July week on Tablerock in MO. Had I truly known what I was missing I would've been boating long ago. Shout out to Captain Cobalt even though I'm only a sergeant, I've been with the Sheriff Office since 1988 and was an Army MP before that.
    I look forward to learning and sharing with everyone and hopefully meeting at least some in person.

BradMorrow77 and Walt P like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Member Founding Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Kansas
    2002 Cobalt 226
    Volvo-Penta 8.1L gxi, 420 hp
    1998 GMC Yukon
    http://clubcobalt.net/index.php?account-confirmation/173/email&c=7Cd8jp5yr5xTn1Lt
    I just sent a message through your website. Small world...we live in the same town! Hope to hear from you soon.

Shauna likes this.
  13. Shauna

Jul 24, 2017
    Wichita KS
    2007 262
    Merc. HO 8.1 430 hp
    09 Chevy Duramax
  14. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Small world, indeed! This is why I love forums like this!

Shauna likes this.
  15. JSB

JSB New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Mansfield, Texas
    2013 Cobalt R3
    5.7L V8 Volvo Penta Dual Prop Outdrive
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    Hello,
    I'm Jeff and we have a 2013 R3. We've owned a boat for 15 years and love being on the water! We get a lot of use out of it down here in Texas, and we are fortunate that my wife's parents live on Table Rock Lake so we get to enjoy that awesome body of water quite a bit!

Attached Files:

Walt P, Shauna and Tonka Boater like this.
  16. bpfisterer

bpfisterer New Member Founding Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Houston, Tx
    2007 Garnet & White 272
    VP 8.1 375
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD
    Do you make ONLY American Flags? Or can you also make college flags, state flags, etc...?

17. bpfisterer

bpfisterer New Member Founding Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Houston, Tx
    2007 Garnet & White 272
    VP 8.1 375
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD
    Hello all, love this new forum! I've searched around and could never find any forums that were current, or very active. Hopefully we can get this one going strong! Not necessarily new to boating; my parents had a Cobalt when I was young, and my wife and I are fortunately in a position to where we were able to purchase our very first boat back in May, a 2007 272 with a VP 8.1 with 212 hours. Absolutely immaculate boat. I am a Project Manager, managing my company's scope of deep water oil and gas drilling projects, and my wife is a consultant in the Employee Training and Development industry. We try to get out on Lake Conroe, Tx about every weekend we can so we hope to see some of yall out there!

Walt P and Tonka Boater like this.
  18. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Awesome boat!

19. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Thanks for joining! Help spread the word and post often so we can keep it going strong!

20. Shauna

Jul 24, 2017
    Wichita KS
    2007 262
    Merc. HO 8.1 430 hp
    09 Chevy Duramax
    We only carry the American Flags since that's what most dealers want with their flagpoles. If you're looking for something particular, I could check with the distributor we use (flags are manufactured in America).

Tonka Boater likes this.
  21. Shauna

Jul 24, 2017
    Wichita KS
    2007 262
    Merc. HO 8.1 430 hp
    09 Chevy Duramax
    Cool! Tablerock is a great lake. We're currently looking for a lake house and although we love Tablerock, we are also considering Beaver. You're lucky to have some lakes in Texas... unfortunately, here in Kansas we don't have a lot of choices...and nearly all are mud.

Tonka Boater and Jevon Jamieson like this.
  22. Jevon Jamieson

Jevon Jamieson Member Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Rogers, AR
    2013 Cobalt 242
    Volvo 6.0L 380hp
    2012 F150 Lariat 4x4
    We have our 2003 200 slipped at Prairie Creek Marina on Beaver. I live only 10 miles away so it makes it easy to get to.

Shauna and Tonka Boater like this.
  23. Shauna

Jul 24, 2017
    Wichita KS
    2007 262
    Merc. HO 8.1 430 hp
    09 Chevy Duramax
    Lucky! Prairie Creek is a nice marina. We were actually there this weekend looking at properties. We've decided Beaver over Tablerock for a lake house. It's tough to find on the lake with a easy walk to water - and a slip big enough...seems like every time we've checked with the marinas (in the areas we are looking) they don't have slips available.

24. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    My name is Shawn Murphy and I had my first boat when I was 16 (51 years ago) and I haven't been without one since. I currently own a 1985 Cobalt CM23. I am going to post more about the boat on the other section but I feel this is one of the prettiest boats Cobalt ever built. I grew up in the Seattle area but until a year ago I spent the last 38 years in California. Last year I retired and my wife and I moved to Covington, LA.

We have owned a number of boats with the last one being a 52' CPMY and prior to that a 34' Sea Ray. There were others down the line as well.

I'm really happy to see this forum as I too could not find a satisfactory forum for these wonderful boats. Much thanks to Ron for getting this going.

Shawn

Walt P likes this.
  25. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Thanks, Shawn. It's great to have you aboard!

For all the other members, Shawn and I know each other from another boating forum and I invited him over to share his knowledge and the progress on his CM23 restoration.

Walt P likes this.
  26. Mklein

Mklein New Member Founding Member

Aug 1, 2017
    White bear lake MN
    2006 Cobalt 220
    Volvo Penta 5.7 Gi-E VP Duoprop
    2008 Chevy Silverado crew cab ltz
    Hello Shawn!

Will you be out on Tonka this weekend? My wife Jenny and I will be out if the boat is out of the shop by then. Tonka Bay Marina says it will be done by Friday.

27. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    I'm on a flight to SFO for the weekend but plan to be out next week. We'll have to arrange a meet up. There are a few of us on here from Tonka.

I'm Rob, btw :) Shawn is "muggsy"

I'll drop you a PM when I next head out.

28. Mklein

Mklein New Member Founding Member

Aug 1, 2017
    White bear lake MN
    2006 Cobalt 220
    Volvo Penta 5.7 Gi-E VP Duoprop
    2008 Chevy Silverado crew cab ltz
    Oops, I should have known that from your facebook message!

Tonka Boater likes this.
  29. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Shauna, I just saw on Craigslist that Hickory Creek Marina (south of the Hwy 12 bridge) is adding 40 10x28 slips. $199.03 per month. (479) 751-7366. Hope that helps.

Sarge and Shauna like this.
  30. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Hi, I'm Walt. I grew up on Long Island, and had the North and South shore to boat and swim in. We had boats growing up (rowboats with outboards) and canoes. Many friends had boats, and my parents had us take the Coast Guard boating course. After High School, went to college in Western NY, lived outside Chicago, Vermont, Connecticut, Massachusetts, before settling in in Northwest Arkansas. Many years went by without being on the water. Something was always missing. 2 of my close golfing buddies bought Cobalts (R5, R3) and we started going back out on Beaver Lake with them. We really enjoyed it, and they helped us find our current Cobalt (2001 262- Pier Pressure). By find I mean they applied "pressure" to buy a boat. I could have said no.....but didn't. We are in our 3rd season with the 262, and have made a number of changes for the better. (see other posts). We have enjoyed boating so much we purchased a 1992 Carver 3307 ACMY to use as our "lake house" without the demands of having property. Both are moored at Prairie Creek, which has a great collection of like minded boaters. Our kids are grown and married, and love spending time on the lake with us. Somehow, I feel we will always have a Cobalt, as they are so well made. Thanks for letting me join, and hope to see some of you out on Beaver.
    Blue House.jpg