Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Sorry the updates have been slim-

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Walt P, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Hey folks! I know everyone who doesn't live in Florida or Southern California (at least in the US) is looking forward to boating again. We have friends in Michigan, so they are so done with winter. I can't blame them.

It's been quite a ride here for me lately. I left a company that I had been with for almost 31 years. That left me working full time to find a new position. The major competition that I sold against for decades made me a great offer, so we worked things out and got going. Many upsides to this gig, but the amount of travel is much more demanding then my last position. I have made it though the transition, and now am back in a schedule where I can relax a little bit from learning all the systems and people. So hopefully now updates will be a bit more frequent.

For those of you who know me, we have a 2001 262 that is in awesome shape. The family loves the boat, and the space it has. With our personal life in a more settled down state, my wife (and best friend) got the new boat bug at the Tulsa boat show. I got the green light to go and work out a deal. We decided on a 2019 R5. My wife's job is to pick out the outside colors and interior colors. I get to pick out the mechanical and performance options. We have placed the deposit, and will be getting a production slot soon. I will keep you updated to the progress of the build, as I get updates from our dealer.

So for the short term I have to get the 262 ready to find a new owner. I am currently having a number of seat cushions redone to match others I have already had updated. Once those aware back from my guy (who I highly recommend), I will have the boat detailed, and ready to sell. I have never needed a trailer, since this boat lives on a covered lift. I do know of an almost new one that my local Cobaalt dealer has for sale.

Anyway, I have rambled on here for a while. I'm really looking forward to this boating season. My grandson will be old enough for his Mom to let him tube with us. I hope you all are as excited as I am to start the season, and lets increase the chatter and provide help to our fellow boaters here, right Shawn and Andrew?

Cheers on this National Drink Wine Day!
    Walt

Jevon Jamieson likes this.
  2. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Hi Walt, good to hear from you and congrats on the new job. Unfortunately, activity on this forum has been painfully low. For me personally, I have posted a few things on the other Cobalt forum, the Cobalt Facebook page and the Sea Ray forum but basically I have just been too busy to do much of anything on the forums. Have you heard anything from Rob? Any ideas on what we should do with this site?

Congrats on the new boat....that should be fun.
    Shawn

3. Breezy Point Smitty

Breezy Point Smitty New Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Breezy Point Minnesota
    2019 R3. Navy with tan strip, electric tower
    Mercruiser 8.2L 380 hp
    Silverado
    I like this site and wish we had more action. I’m brand new to Cobalt (in fact, I haven’t even taken delivery of my new build yet). Good news on the R5 and job Walt. I thought long and hard about the R5 or R3. In the end, our lake is only 8,000 acres and this boat is for water sports and cocktail cruises so i just didn’t think I needed the potty and the room it takes up. We ordered a navy blue with tan strip and white bottom hull. I got the 380 hp Merc option with trim tabs, the electric folding tower and all the bells and whistles. Terra Brown interior with Softrac flooring in lieu of the sea grass. This seems to be unusual and is just my personal preference. One thing to consider if you are getting the Terra Brown is to swap out the brown/tan sea grass for the grey. I think it looks much better. My wife and I live in Scottsdale now but have a lake cabin in Minnesota. Can’t wait to get the keys!

4. Walt P

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Did you end up ordering the R3 or R5? One of my friends has the R3 and another has an R5. They both love them. We were going back and forth between the R5 and R7, and the R7 is about the same size as our 262. We went for the Tahoe Gray interior and sea grass. Hope you like your Cobalt.

5. Breezy Point Smitty

Breezy Point Smitty New Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Breezy Point Minnesota
    2019 R3. Navy with tan strip, electric tower
    Mercruiser 8.2L 380 hp
    Silverado
    we ended up with the R3. I had both the R3 and R5 sitting next to each other in the dealer showroom and they talked me into the R3 because it is the exact same size in width and offered an extra bit of room in the front and only 10" or so more in the back where it really didn't help our need. the big difference is the head in both the R5 and R7. in my case, it was something we just would never use. I went back and forth between the R3 and R5 unitl we did the measurement. cost didn't enter into the decision. I'll let you know if I made the right decision in May! the one I'm continuing to debate is the engine choice. I kept "might as well'ing" myself into the 380hp, big block Merc. I've read all kinds of info about Volvo vs Merc and our whole area is Merc centric so we went that way due to parts and support.

6. Walt P

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    We have 3 Volvo’s now- 8.1L in the 262, and 2 7.4L in our Carver. Both have been flawless. I can understand if you are in an area where Merc is predominant. But your Cobalt dealer has acces to everything Volvo. I have heard from Cobalt that Volvo vs Merc in new builds is highly biased to Volvo.

As far as the head, we didn’t use it either, but that is a great storage area. We have a set of drawers on our 262 head to hold necessary stuff.

For the engine, we went with the Volvo 350. That will be plenty of power for the type of boating we do.

7. Jevon Jamieson

Jevon Jamieson Member Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Rogers, AR
    2013 Cobalt 242
    Volvo 6.0L 380hp
    2012 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Walt, I have not been out here in a while either. We can’t wait for summer to get here either so we can put our new 242 in the water. It is going to be a great summer on Beaver Lake.

8. Walt P

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    We just got the cushions back for the 262. Now we will be getting it ready for a new owner, so the slip is open for the new R5. Can’t wait!

9. Walt P

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Update- the 262 sold to a nice couple from Oklahoma who needed more room than their 200 offered. This week we confirmed our selections for the new R5, and wrote another check. The boat went into production Tuesday. We plan to go to the factory to see the boat in production, as the factory is only 3 hours away. We’ve been through the factory a couple of times, but this will be a different perspective, as we will be the owners of a boat in production

The weather is breaking, so soon we will be on the water in a new boat. We are so looking forward to it.

10. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Congrats Walt! I've seen pics of your 262 - the new owners got well cared for boat. What color scheme did you go with on the R5?

Btw, my live is starting to balance out to the point I can put more effort here on CC. I'll be active here and on FB more often and hope to see some more activity around here.

11. Walt P

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Hi Rob,
    Glad to hear things are working out. We went with the shale side, white bottom and black boot stripe. We chose the Tahoe gray interior, and gray accent stitching. We just found out yesterday that we won’t see the boat until after Memorial Day. The new production schedule of a 4 day workweek must have backed things up.

12. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    That's a great color combo. I think the shale is such a good look.

Hope they surprise you and get it by Memorial Day.

13. Jevon Jamieson

Jevon Jamieson Member Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Rogers, AR
    2013 Cobalt 242
    Volvo 6.0L 380hp
    2012 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Four day work week? Wow...

14. AdamIPS

AdamIPS New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Missouri
    2007 232
    8.1GI
    2017 Sierra Denali
    Who did your upholstery, Walt? I’ve been looking for someone in the area that does good work but doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

15. Walt P

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    I used J&V located in Gentry, Arkansas. Single man operation.

16. Walt P

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    So our boat finally arrived, and the weather and other things have kept us from getting out. We were able to get out today, and took our grandson with us. Tomorrow we start him tubing (assuming his Mom lets us). Should be a fun day. Here are a couple of pictures of the new boat.

Attached Files:

17. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    What a beauty, Walt. I know you will enjoy her.
    Shawn

18. Walt P

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Thanks Shawn. Yours looks classy as ever. Hopefully you Get to go out this weekend.

19. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Me too. Bbut the cool thing about being retired, and having the boat in the water, is I can go anytime. :)
    My granddaughter (17) arrives this evening from California for her first visit to the New Orleans area. I'm sure we'll get her out this next week....if the weather cooperates.
    Shawn