Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Prop recommendation

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by David Bleil, Jun 17, 2019.

1. David Bleil

David Bleil New Member

Jun 17, 2019
    PGH pa
    1995 252
    F250 Super Duty
    Hi all,
    New to the site and a new Cobalt owner
    I’m 61 and have had different boats over my adult life
    I found that heaver boats usually do better with a 4 blade over a 3 blade prop
    But this is a totally new hull for me and would like recommendations if any one has them
    The boat is a 1995 252 with the 502 MPI Merc bravo 1
    It spins a 23 pitch 4 blade stainless Merc prop to 4800 at 54 mph
    I would like to go to aluminum as it will be docked all summer and keeping the stainless prop will deteriorate the out drive in my area
    Any response would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Hi David - welcome to the site!

Not sure I can answer your question directly but I can give insight from my experience. I have 1997 232 with the 502 MAG and Bravo 1. I have two props that I rotate - 4-blade and 3-blade. I use the 3 blade most of the time because it gives overall better performance in my opinion. The 4 blade offers a little better handling at slow speed but not enough to matter. I think you'd be happy with the 3 blade.

As for aluminum vs stainless. I've never heard of the stainless deteriorating the outdrive with extended time in the water. I've kept many boats in a slip all year with stainless and never had an issue. You should be fine as long as you have the correct anode for your conditions.

Muggsy likes this.