Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Problem with 2018 R5 Fuel Gauge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Rich

Rich New Member

Oct 3, 2018
    North Carolina
    2018 R5
    Volvo Penta
    I have been having a problem with fuel gauge / sending unit on my 2018 R5. The boat has been to the dealer 3 or 4 times with no resolution. The gauge shows much more fuel left in the tank than reality - fuel gauge will show 80% full, but it is really at 50% or lower. Is anyone else having this problem?

2. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    I’ve not heard about this issue specific to a new boat. My good friend has a 2017 R5, and does not have this issue. Since this is a new boat, it’s certainly covered under warranty. If your dealer can’t seem to figure it out, contact Cobalt directly with the issue. They should be able to assist in getting it rectified.

3. Rich

Rich New Member

Oct 3, 2018
    North Carolina
    2018 R5
    Volvo Penta
    Walt - thanks for your feedback. My local dealer has been pretty good on this under warranty but I have been back 3 or 4 times. The whole season has gone by and Cobalt doesn't have a fix. I spoke with the Manager of Customer Service at Cobalt yesterday and was real disappointed. They are going to replace the sending unit in the tank and recalibrate again, but if this doesn't work they want me to wait for a systems fix that they expect in December. For perspective, when my tank reads 80% I should need 10 gallons (50 gallon tank) - however, when I gas up it is taking 20 gallons. Recently I have put about 3 hours on the boat since my last fill up and it still reads 100% - probably consumed 10 gallons. Cobalt doesn't view that as a wide variation. Good thing that I am on a lake and not the Ocean. I want to make sure that I get the word out there to other boat owners (and potential owners). Maybe that will get Cobalt to be more responsive.

4. Jevon Jamieson

Jevon Jamieson Member Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Rogers, AR
    2013 Cobalt 242
    Volvo 6.0L 380hp
    2012 F150 Lariat 4x4
    I just filled my 2013 242 this weekend and it was reading 0 on the gauge and digital reading. I filled it up and it only took 40.9 gallons on a 50gal tank. I’ll take that level of conservative reading.

5. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Rich, I now have a 2019 R5, so I am watching this as well. So far, I have only had to refill 2x since we got the boat. The first time the sensor said it was dead empty, and it took 40 gallons to fill. The tank spec is 45. The last fill the gauge read half, and it took 20 gallons. So there is variability in the sending unit/gauge system.