Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Post Your Boat's Name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tonka Boater, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Hey everyone... tell us your boat's name and if there's a story behind it.

My boat's name is Time Well Wasted Too. I had a 2008 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer that I named Time Well Wasted and followed suit with my current boat because time on the water is time well wasted.

Nothing to do with the Brad Paisley song though. I named my old 280DA then found out the next year about the song.

My previous Cobalt 200 was named FIN2LFT.

Walt P, Cobalt and Shauna like this.
  2. Navypoe1

Navypoe1 New Member Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Yukon, oklahoma
    2014 Cobalt 220
    Honda Oilot
    Moorslipper. 3 1/2 years ago I was stationed in Washington state. I am out of the military now. It was raining and my seven-year-old daughter said she could ride her bike faster in the rain. I said how is that? She said because it's more slipper. I said bam! Thats a boat name.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Jack Rose, Walt P and Cobalt like this.
  3. Captain Ron Rico

Captain Ron Rico New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Michigan
    2016 Cobalt R5
    VP380
    '15 Ford F150 Platinum
    "The Bunny Hop." My wife calls me "Bunny" (no idea where it came from) and "Hop" being a party.

Walt P and Cobalt like this.
  4. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Member Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Burleson Texas
    1979 Cobalt 19BR
    Beefed up Mercruser 260 Alpha I Gen I
    2005 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Chillaxin' is our boats name. My wife accidentally came up with it one day...yes alcohol was involved.

Walt P, Cobalt and Shauna like this.
  5. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Love the names! Thanks for sharing.

Cobalt likes this.
  6. Kelly

Kelly New Member Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Pontiac, MO
    2006 Cobalt 272
    8.1 GI Volvo Penta
    Nauti-Thoughts

Walt P, Tonka 2, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  7. Cobalt Captain

Cobalt Captain New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Double Oak, TX
    1999 25LS
    Volvo 7.4, DP-S
    2010 Ford F250
    Knot Behavin' is the name of our 1999 25LS. AS a kid, every time I went outside I was always told to behave myself, so..... 1999 Cobalt 25LS.jpg

Jack Rose, Walt P, Tonka 2 and 5 others like this.
  8. Scott McLaughlin

Scott McLaughlin New Member Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Tonganoxie kansas
    1998 br252
    7.4 merc bravo3
    2017 f250
    IMG_0607.JPG I am a second owner of a 1998 252.
    Old wise tale I was told is that changing a boats name may bring bad luck. Not sure if holds true but I left her name "The Hurricane ". Been the most pleasurable boat I have owned.

Jack Rose, Walt P, Tonka 2 and 3 others like this.
  9. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    BEAUTIFUL boat! Good call to keep the name...love it!

Tonka 2, Scott McLaughlin and Cobalt like this.
  10. NautiGirl2.0

NautiGirl2.0 New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Dale Hollow Lake, KY
    2007 Cobalt 222
    6.2 Merc w 320 HP
    IMG_20170704_155046.jpg

11. Shauna

Shauna Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Wichita KS
    2007 262
    Merc. HO 8.1 430 hp
    09 Chevy Duramax
    It's All Good.
    It's not a fancy story..just kind of our family motto/saying. Any time out on the water is a good time so... it's all good lol. FB_IMG_1496934688341.jpg

12. Dave C.

Dave C. New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Evansville
    2009 276
    Merc 496 Max
    GMC Sierra
    Only Child has been all our boats' name. No children so we started naming our boats that.

Attached Files:

Shauna, Walt P, Tonka 2 and 2 others like this.
  13. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Love the name... and the boat! Thanks for posting.

Tonka 2 likes this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Member Founding Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Kansas
    2002 Cobalt 226
    Volvo-Penta 8.1L gxi, 420 hp
    1998 GMC Yukon
    My 226 is currently nameless. I want to go with Naughty Lush, a play on Nautilus, and have the black & white silhouette graphic of a girl in a martini glass holding a submarine. My better half isn't thrilled with it though, so I am open to suggestions.

Tonka Boater likes this.
  15. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Our boat is named "Schoonin'". Not thrilled with it but my old partner on the boat owns a restaurant named Schooner or Later therefore the boat name. And it's painted on so not easily changed plus she's not ready to go through the necessary ceremony required when changing a vessel name.

Shawn

Walt P and Tonka Boater like this.
  16. Andy S

Andy S Member Founding Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Chapin, SC
    2016 R5
    Volvo Penta 300hp
    Ford F250
    The wife was extremely excited after years of drooling over Cobalt's that we finally got one and she came up with the name "This Is It".
    Stern name.jpg

Jack Rose, Shauna, Walt P and 2 others like this.
  17. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Great name!

Rob

Andy S likes this.
  18. Cassady

Cassady New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Delaware, ohio
    1986 cobalt bowrider 17br
    4.3l v6 Chevy 185hp
    GMC Yukon
    Bushwacker....named after our favorite drink in Pensacola where we used to live.

19. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Lol! I love it! Post some pics of your boat in the Pictures forum.

Cassady likes this.
  20. VegasHawk

VegasHawk New Member Founding Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Minnetrista, MN
    2016 Cobalt R5 WSS Surf
    Volvo Penta forward drive
    2013 Dodge Ram V8
    Boaty McBoatface.

I know I stole that from another vessel but I love the story. In a nutshell, Great Britain used social media to nominate and vote for a multi million dollar Antarctica research vessel and the online public selected Boaty McBoatface. The government obviously knew they couldn't allow that and went away from public option and named it after a British explorer? However, the research vessel has a 1-man submarine on the ship and it was named Boaty McBoatface, so at least the public vote didn't get completely ignored.

Previous boat was name Chalupa (my wife is Mexican and chalupa is Spanish for boat).

Jack Rose, Walt P and Tonka Boater like this.
  21. Todd Seigel

Todd Seigel New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    North Hudson, WI
    2008 Cobalt 302
    Twin Mercury 496 Mag Seacore
    Bayport Marina
    Seagull's Nest

22. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    "Pier Pressure". I had 2 close friends who have Cobalts, and we were "persuaded" into purchasing a Cobalt 262. Full Throttle.jpg

VegasHawk, Jack Rose and Tonka Boater like this.
  23. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Lol! That's great.

24. Jack Rose

Jack Rose Active Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    1987 Supra Saltare'
    Big block, 454
    2011 Escalade
    Current boat is 'Blue Leprechaun'. It's a Saltare', blue, and the original custodian was Jimmy Noonan. Bad luck to change the name unless certain protocols are observed, yes? That and my middle name is for my paternal grandmother, Garvey. Wife's maiden name is Mullarky. Thinking the next one will be to honor my father, pictured in my avatar. His very first boat after WWII was a cabin cruiser that was hand built in the Euclid, Ohio #2 Firehouse. Powered by a 40 hp Grey Marine diesel and christened in Cleveland/Lake Erie as the Fire Fly.

Walt P likes this.
  25. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    It is bad luck to change the name without the ceremony and Homage to Neptune, the God of the Sea.

I have personally done this and it makes for a helluva party. If you want the procedure let me know and I'll get it to you.

Shawn

Keepin' It Classic likes this.
  26. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    I love Supra's... great boat. Do you mean "the" Jimmy Noonan? That's cool.

Shawn's correct, you need to follow proper procedure for the name change otherwise it's bad luck.

27. Jack Rose

Jul 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    1987 Supra Saltare'
    Big block, 454
    2011 Escalade
    Hey Shawn,

Indeed, as a public service I believe you ought to post the name change protocol. Think of the bad mojo that could be prevented!

28. Jack Rose

Jul 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    1987 Supra Saltare'
    Big block, 454
    2011 Escalade
    The only Jimmy Noonan I know. He's from Akron, Ohio. Boated on Cumberland. I got the boot in Akron, took it to West Virginia when I lived there and now we're in Kentucky and it's back to it's original lake.

An aside: My wife of 27 years and counting and I shared our first kiss in Low Gap pass on Cumberland in 1989 (!). We have had a special affinity for that lake ever since.

Tonka Boater likes this.
  29. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Changing Your Boat's Name....The Proper Way

Jack Rose correctly suggested I post this procedure just in case. For those of you that think the myth is bunk....maybe it is, but why tempt fate....or Poseidon. And as I said, it makes for an epic party.

When we bought our 52' KhaShing she was named Trident. Not too bad but we wanted to name her "Makai" which is Hawaiian for "To the Sea." We had been to one of these ceremonies several years earlier and It was quite a party. We invited some 20+ friends, bought a case of champagne, had lots of food and started the ritual. You are supposed to drop an "ingot", engraved with the old name, overboard. Not sure where one gets and ingot, I used a plug from a knockout from an electrical panel. The new name was on the boat but covered as required. We asked a friend to do the honors for us. Below is the beginning.... 100_6292.jpg
    This is the expunging of the name. Below is the ceremony for the new name. There were a few complaints about how much champagne was going overboard and not into the guests. 100_6302.jpg
    After the ceremony was over we took 18 people out for a cruise. 100_6313.jpg For the record, other than my sips of champagne I don't drink while operating my vessel. I have always believed I had the responsibility of the safety of my passengers and crew. Now....after we a tied up for the night I might have a few cocktails and a cigar. So below is the procedure (copied and printed from www.boatsafe.com)

As requested....

Everyone knows that renaming your boat will bring nothing but bad luck and make your boating experience something that you will want to forget. But what happens when, after months of searching, you find your dreamboat with a name that you just cannot live with. For example, my first love was a 28-foot Alden with the most beautiful lines I’d ever seen. She was named Perfidious. How could anything this graceful be named betrayer of trust? Well, I never bought her, but I often thought that if I had, I would have renamed her Magic, after my wife.

Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names. So, is there a way to change a name and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the elements? Yes, Virginia, there is.

According to legend, each and every vessel is recorded by name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea. It is logical therefore, if we wish to change the name of our boat, the first thing we must do is to purge its name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Poseidon’s memory. This is an involved process beginning with the removal or obliteration of every trace of the boat’s current identity. This is essential and must be done thoroughly.

I once went through the ceremony after the owner had assured me that every reference to his boat’s old name had been purged from her. A couple of weeks later, he discovered he had missed a faded name on her floating key chain. I advised him to start over, perhaps with a little extra libation for the ruler of the sea. Unfortunately, he declined.

Since then, his boat has been struck by lightning, had its engine ruined by the ingress of the sea, been damaged by collision and finally sunk! It pays to be thorough.

In purging your boat, it is acceptable to use White-Out or some similar obliterating fluid to expunge the boat’s name from log books, engine and maintenance records etc., but it is much easier to simply remove the offending document from the boat and start afresh. Don’t forget the life rings and especially the transom and forward name boards.

Do not under any circumstances carry aboard any item bearing your boat’s new name until the purging and renaming ceremonies have been completed!

Once you are certain every reference to her old name has been removed from her, all that is left to do is to prepare a metal tag with the old name written on it in water-soluble ink. You will also need a bottle of reasonably good Champagne. Plain old sparkling wine won’t cut it. Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party. Begin by invoking the name of the ruler of the deep as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (here insert the old name of your vessel) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. (At this point, the prepared metal tag is dropped from the bow of the boat into the sea.)

In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (Pour at least half of the bottle of Champagne into the sea from East to West. The remainder may be passed among your guests.

It is usual for the renaming ceremony to be conducted immediately following the purging ceremony, although it may be done at any time after the purging ceremony. For this portion of the proceedings, you will need more Champagne, Much more because you have a few more gods to appease. Begin the renaming by again calling Poseidon as follows:

Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)

The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name. Begin in this manner:

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boat’s new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone:) Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning:) Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Tonka Boater likes this.
  30. david s

david s New Member Founding Member

Aug 6, 2017
    wichita, ks
    2015 Cobalt 242
    Volvo Penta 300hp
    2013 ram 1500
    Summer Shandy II
    Our last name is Shandy
    20170729_155932.jpg

Shauna, Walt P and Tonka Boater like this.