Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Novice Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tim S, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Tim S

Tim S New Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Collierville TN
    2008 Cobalt 222
    350 Magnum Mercruiser
    Dual Axle Cobalt trailer
    I just purchased a 2008 Cobalt 222 and have a few questions. Under the dash on the right hand side there is a switch with a blue indicator light. I have no idea what this is for. There is an accessory toggle switch on the dash and I cannot figure out what this does. In the rear wet storage area there is a switch also that I am unclear on what this does.

I was told that there is a high low exhaust that you could control through an accessory switch but none of the switches seem to change the control of the exhaust.

My speedometer is not working. Any idea what may be causing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. AdamIPS

AdamIPS New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Missouri
    2007 232
    8.1GI
    2017 Sierra Denali
    The switches maybe aftermarket. You may have to trace the wires and see where they end up. The only switch I have under the dash on my 232 is for the emergency kill switch lanyard. If there is a switch for the exhaust (captain's call) it will be labeled as such.

As far as the speedometer, is it the standard speedo or a GPS Perfect Pass model? If it's the traditional, I assume it registers speed through a pitot tube on the outdrive. That's how all my Mercruisers functioned. I have a VP now, but it's a GPS Perfect Pass so I can't speak for the traditional VP speedo. It's probably obstructed from striking something in the water. Locate the small hole in the front section of the lower unit opposite the propeller. Simply use a small drill bit and BY HAND slowly twist it into the pitot. If it's obstructed, the debris will work its way out as you spin the bit. If that doesn't work, the speedo may need replaced or rebuilt.

3. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Older Volvo's use a pitot. They do get crud in them from time to time. if using a drill bit by hand as described above doesn't do the job, some air pressure at the speedo side (disconnected from the speedo) can blow the junk out the pitot, and let the pressure work as intended while underway. When you put the tube back on the speedo, ensure you have a good seal, otherwise you can get water all the way up the tube.

As far as your switch is concerned, it sounds like an add on, and not factory. could be for an amp or other lighting.

Good luck!

4. Tim S

Tim S New Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Collierville TN
    2008 Cobalt 222
    350 Magnum Mercruiser
    Dual Axle Cobalt trailer
    Thanks for the replies. I did put a drill bit in the pilot hole. A trickle of water came out so I assume it was blocked. I will test it next week to see if it worked.

There is a dimmer switch under the dash. I believe it changes the intensity of the dash lights. If front of that is a flip switch. I am still not sure what it does. The boat had tower speakers that have been removed. It may activate the tower speakers.

I have the performance exhaust. I have not found the switch to turn it off. I have a main accessory on the dash and a dash toggle switch that I have no idea what they are connected to. I will keep looking. Thanks.

5. 3pointstar

3pointstar Active Member Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Granger, Indiana
    2000 -- 226
    7.4 MPI- 310hp
    GMC 2500 Durmax
    Tim - this may sound stupid on my part - please don't think I'm insulting you. Some boats may have had the exhaust straight piped out the back - which is a true performance exhaust. - in other words the availability of "silent choice" isn't really there. Without sounding condescending do you have silent choice or does the exhaust just go straight out the back. Obviously if no silent choice is installed the switch won't work.

6. Tim S

Tim S New Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Collierville TN
    2008 Cobalt 222
    350 Magnum Mercruiser
    Dual Axle Cobalt trailer
    Not offended at all. It is not straight exhaust. It looks like there is a damper and two paths the exhaust can take. I just need to figure out which switch activates the exhaust. It is a factory install not aftermarket.

7. thunder550

thunder550 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1995 Cobalt 252
    502 Mag EFI
    2017 GLE43
    I'm not familiar with the Silent Choice option but if it functions the same as the Corsa Captain's Call, then the "off" position should leave the flappers closed and exhaust diverted through the out drive. If it's on/open all the time, I am wondering if the diverters were disabled in the open position somehow.

8. Tim S

Tim S New Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Collierville TN
    2008 Cobalt 222
    350 Magnum Mercruiser
    Dual Axle Cobalt trailer
    Yes it is a Corsa exhaust. I am guessing it was installed at the factory. I am looking for the switch that activates it. There is nothing marked on the accessory switches. Where is it normally wired to? Where is your switch?

9. thunder550

thunder550 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1995 Cobalt 252
    502 Mag EFI
    2017 GLE43
    My switch is just labeled Aux. It is wired so that it will only work when the key is in the Run position.