Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

New from Phoenix

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by thunder550, Aug 15, 2017.

1. thunder550

thunder550 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1995 Cobalt 252
    502 Mag EFI
    2017 GLE43
    Hey everyone, my name is Chris and I'm in Phoenix, AZ. Rob referred me here from the Cobalt Facebook forum.

I'm currently boatless, but my family has been boating since I was a little kid. Grew up on a mid 80's 21 ft Cobalt cuddy cabin, which my dad eventually traded up to a 1997 252 with the 502 Mag MPI/Bravo 3. That was a sweet boat, I loved opening up the Captain's Call on that thing :) Spent a lot of time on a 2003 Tige 22v learning to wakeboard (parents were separated and each had their own boat, rough life...), then gave that up back in 2011 after hurting my back and ankle doing it. We sold the Tige in 2011 and the Cobalt in 2012 and I've been missing boating ever since. I'm married with a 4 year old daughter now and itching to get back on the water.

Finances should allow a boat purchase in the next few months, so I'm starting to familiarize myself with the current market. I've narrowed my target down to a late 90's or early 2000's 220, 226, or 232. I'll be looking for one of the big engines...Merc 454 Mag MPI, Merc 502 Mag MPI, Volvo 7.4GSi, or Volvo 8.2GSi. Seems plausible to find something good for <$20k from the little bit of searching I've done so far.

Anyway, I'll be lurking and hoping to join the ranks of Cobalt owners soon!

Walt P likes this.
  2. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Welcome aboard, Chris! We're glad you joined and we'll be more than happy to help you find your next boat.

I'm not saying this because I own '97 232, but your range and choices are excellent. These are among the nicest, borderline perfect, boats ever made. As I've mentioned to others here and on the FB group, the 232 has an amazing hull that will handle almost anything you throw at it. Pair it with a 502 Mag and you have the perfect combo. I was out with my teenage boys yesterday and we had decent chop with some confused waves -- my 232 glided over the mess effortlessly and it was a smooth ride at 34 mph. LOVE THIS BOAT!

I will start a new thread later today titled, "Where to buy used Cobalts" that we can all contribute to. There are deals out there but it takes persistence and knowing where to look.

Walt P likes this.
  3. thunder550

thunder550 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1995 Cobalt 252
    502 Mag EFI
    2017 GLE43
    Thanks Rob! I'll keep an eye out for that thread. I've been scanning Craigslist aggregators and Boattrader (don't mind shopping/traveling anywhere in the US for the right deal), not sure where else to look so that will be helpful. If I can find a screaming deal this fall I'm prepared to make it work, otherwise bonus time hits in Feb and I should be pretty comfortable then.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017