Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

My "What do you think about this boat?" thread

Discussion in 'Just Looking' started by thunder550, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    How did it go? The boat... not the happy juice :)

thunder550 likes this.
  2. thunder550

thunder550 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1995 Cobalt 252
    502 Mag EFI
    2017 GLE43
    Well I am officially a Cobalt owner :)

The boat checked out ok, as someone earlier in the thread said it has been neglected but not abused. It'll clean up pretty well, sans a few small scratches here and there. Mechanically sound, no structural issues. Bilge pump wasn't working but they are going to replace. One of the captains call solenoids wasn't opening, I checked voltages and it was getting power so not sure on that. The rear deck vinyl has a few relatively small tears, but the rest of the interior does not. Rosewood dash looks a little aged, might be able to bring it back to life with some work. Overall though, it's a good condition boat for being 22 years old.

Spent the afternoon working on the trailer. I got the brakes swapped out and bled. I can't tell if they are working yet though, hard to tell with no weight on the trailer. I'm going to adjust the bunks to fit the boat better tomorrow, they have them pretty far in and the boat sits high on the trailer so their fork lifts can get in there. Ahead of schedule, and really sore from crouching all day.

Anyway, yay! Thanks for all the help, I would have never been as aggressive with the offer without some guidance :) Now I'm looking forward to getting it home so we can use it a few times before it gets too cold. Shipper has it scheduled for delivery on the 14th or 15th.

Walt P likes this.
  3. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Glad it met your expectations.

thunder550 likes this.
  4. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Congratulations! Sometimes we have to work a bit harder to get the things we want. And now you have a good story to share with friends while out cruising. I'm glad it all worked out.

Shawn

Walt P likes this.
  5. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Congrats and welcome to the family! That was quite a process you went through and a great story you have for it.

Be sure to post pics after it's delivered...we'd love to see the process of getting it up to your standards.

thunder550 and Walt P like this.
  6. thunder550

Aug 14, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1995 Cobalt 252
    502 Mag EFI
    2017 GLE43
    This weekend has been an adventure! (in a good way :) ) Now that the work on the trailer is done I am getting a chance to get caught up on everything. Here's a few pics from this weekend. Hopefully the embedding works, I uploaded them to my google drive instead of the forum.

Boat on the trailer I bought, before I did any work to it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outdrive
    [​IMG]

Is this a factory or factory replacement prop?
    [​IMG]

The boat was never de-winterized this summer, so I had to wait while they did it...
    [​IMG]

Putting her back away after our test drive. Living in Phoenix, everyone trailers their boats everywhere. I've never seen dry-stack storage in person, it was really cool watching them forklift the boats around.
    [​IMG]

My trailer workshop, right next door to a Napa auto parts store. Turned out to be very convenient, I was in and out of there several times for various things. I had already replaced the coupler at this point.
    [​IMG]

First hub/brake mounted
    [​IMG]

I de-Margie'd the boat this afternoon so they would wet sand this area too instead of working around it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Walt P likes this.
  7. thunder550

Aug 14, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1995 Cobalt 252
    502 Mag EFI
    2017 GLE43
    They started in on the wet sanding this afternoon. The little bit that was done looked really good, really helped the color and made almost all of the scratches disappear. He is going to go over it a second time, then buff-polish, so I think it's going to look pretty good when it's finished.
    [​IMG]

That's all I have. Got a bimini and full cover ordered for it this afternoon, caught the tail end of the iBoats sale. Trying to track down a replacement actuator for the starboard side captain's call that's not working. Other than that, I'll be looking forward to delivery on the 14th or 15th :)[​IMG]

Walt P likes this.
  8. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Wow! That's awesome. I'd love to see the final pics when she's finished getting polished but you can already tell there's a huge difference in the last pic.

I love that color too...I don't think I've seen another boat with that color.

Safe travels and be sure to post pics of the final product.

thunder550 likes this.
  9. thunder550

Aug 14, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1995 Cobalt 252
    502 Mag EFI
    2017 GLE43
    Transport picked up this morning, I'm guessing it'll be here Thursday. Will start a new thread on receipt for future upgrades.

Walt P and Muggsy like this.