Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

LED Lighting

Discussion in 'Installation How To's & Photos' started by bpfisterer, Aug 14, 2017.

1. bpfisterer

bpfisterer New Member Founding Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Houston, Tx
    2007 Garnet & White 272
    VP 8.1 375
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD
    Does anybody have a good write up of how to install LED lighting in their Cobalt? I'm wanting to install LEDs, but I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information about installation.

2. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Are you looking for underwater lights or to redo your cabin lights with LEDs?

I swapped all of the bulbs in my boat with LED's from SuperBrightLEDs.com. The bulbs are great quality and very inexpensive. Matching your existing bulbs to the LED's on SuperBright is not very intuitive though. Mine were all standard bayonet bulbs so I just had to find the correct size and brightness that I wanted.

3. bpfisterer

Jul 29, 2017
    Houston, Tx
    2007 Garnet & White 272
    VP 8.1 375
    I'm looking to swap out all of the cabin lights to LEDs. I'm also interested in underwater LEDs but the lake that I frequent the most is an orange clay bottomed lake so the water is pretty stained. I'm not sure I would get much out of the underwater LEDs.

I'll look around on there, I appreciate it!

4. 3pointstar

3pointstar Active Member Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Granger, Indiana
    2000 -- 226
    7.4 MPI- 310hp
    GMC 2500 Durmax
    Hi Bpfisterer -- I too wanted the LED "look". What I did like Tonka was go to Superbrightleds and ordered all of my interior bulbs. The interior I did in Blue and the bilge I did in White -- figured it would be easier to see something in the bilge at night -- turned out I was right.... Very easy swap. However, after I got this done I found out that Autozone has almost the same leds for a few dollars less.

Then I decided to swap out our plastic cup holders for stainless with blue led's. That's where it got a little interesting. What I did was first look under the control panel and decide where I was going to connect all of this. Since LED's really don't use much current I felt it was ok to just tie into the interior light switch. You will need to find a bayonet splicer online or maybe an auto parts store has time - I got ours on amazon or ebay. I decided to route the wires first on the front starboard side starting at the switch going towards the bow- we have a 226 bowrider. I first took out the speakers to give me better access to the cup holders. Cobalt has a great feature of running wires in somewhat of a conduit along the edge - I used this as a guide and ran the wires to each cup holder and then ran the wires into the anchor locker. It turns out there was a little gap that I was able to snake the wire thru in the front starboard side and all the back to the stern. At the stern I eventually want to add LED's to the swim platform so I added a bunch of wire wound it up - terminated the wire the ends and zip tied it to where you can't see it. The only thing left was for me to snake wire on the port side to the switch area. I'm kinda anal and I soldered all my splices and hit them with heatshrink tube and then wrapped them a little with electrical tape. Remember that LED's are polar dependent - so it is critical that you keep the positives and negatives consistent or they won't work.

I purchased some LED live-well LED's for above our swim platform - I haven't installed them yet - to be honest I'm scared to drill holes in the fiberglass. I have an extended platform and will mount them just above it. I figure that above the swim platform really doesn't get that wet and a live-well LED is submersible - they should work pretty well. I've attached a picture of our finished product -- good luck

3pointstar

Attached Files:

Dave Harter and Tonka Boater like this.
  5. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Great write up and the cupholders look great...nice upgrade. Side note, I love the layout of the 226.

6. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Very nice. I used the lighted cup holders on another boat and really liked them. Got a lot of comments

7. 3pointstar

3pointstar Active Member Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Granger, Indiana
    2000 -- 226
    7.4 MPI- 310hp
    GMC 2500 Durmax
    Tonka I have a good friend that has a smaller Fountain performance boat-- it really is very nice. However, she has made numerous comments on the layout of the 226 and how much more room there is to "do" stuffs. Yes, the overall layout is in my world perfect - swivel seats where everyone can talk to each other without hassle and enough room for to sit or be comfortable.

Tonka Boater likes this.
  8. bpfisterer

Jul 29, 2017
    Houston, Tx
    2007 Garnet & White 272
    VP 8.1 375
    Thanks for the pointers. It looks fantastic!

Tonka Boater likes this.
  9. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    I just did my 262 with replacement LED's. (See post in customizations). I replaced the 168 incandescent bulbs with 194B LED's that I got at Walmart. The black square lights I replaced with total new units from Amazon. The dash lights are also 194B, so all the lights that are visible at night are blue. I need to get blue LED trim rings for my stainless cup holders also.