Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Lake Guntersville Hydrofest....June 22-24. Who's Going?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muggsy, May 9, 2018.

1. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Morning Y'all....

For the first time in more than 30 years the spectacular Unlimited Hydroplanes will be racing on Lake Guntersville, AL. If you have never seen these boats race live and in-person then, as boaters, you owe it to yourselves to give attending this event some thought.

The dates are Friday, June 22nd through, Sunday June 24th. Here is a link to the official website with location, lodging, ticket and all other needed information: https://www.marshallcountycvb.com/on-the-lake/hydrofest

Race officials have set up a 2 1/2 mile course instead of the standard 2 mile. This will produce higher straight away speeds reaching 250 MPH and a bit tighter turns. Those of us with boats that meet the requirements, can watch the race from the water just outside the racecourse.
    [​IMG]
    nascar-water.jpg (20.18 KiB) Viewed 2 times
    I am planning to tow my boat up from the New Orleans area on Thursday the 21st. I have found a vacation cabin rental on the lake with a boat dock so I will be putting my boat in the water Thursday and I will pull it out and drive home on Monday the 25th. It would be cool if we could get a good showing of CobaltChat members to attend and we could raft up for the races and a bit of Cobalt posing around the lake. There are still quite a few lodging choices available with dock space and without.

Anybody think they can make this trip?
    Shawn

2. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Looks like a lot of fun.

3. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    How far of a drive would that be for you?

4. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Probably about 10 hours.... AS they said to Maverick in Top Gun- "The pattern is full". We are at an almost over booked summer.
    Would be neat to try for next year.

5. Muggsy

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Understood. But since this is the first time they have been there in 50 years who knows if, or when, they'll be back.
    Shawn

Walt P likes this.