Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Getting rid of yellow stains on the hull

Discussion in 'General Maintenance & Repairs' started by 3pointstar, Jul 25, 2017.

1. 3pointstar

3pointstar Active Member Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Granger, Indiana
    2000 -- 226
    7.4 MPI- 310hp
    GMC 2500 Durmax
    If I had a dollar for every time I've seen questions how to get rid of these yellow water marks that stain our beautiful Cobalt boats - I could take most of you out for a very nice lunch - with drinks!!

What I have used with much success is a solution of "Iron Out" in a garden sprayer. I mix up about 1.5 gallons - spray on and then hose off - you literally will see the color fall off. I haven't had a bit of problem with the finish/wax etc. I'm very anal about the boat maintenance and this really is easy to use and very inexpensive.

All the best and be safe!

3pointstar

Still Trolling, John D and Sarge like this.
  2. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Great tip, 3pointstar! Thank you for sharing with us.

Another product that works great for me is Slimy Grimy. I like it because it's non-toxic and doesn't damage the metal on my trailer the way regular hull cleaner can.

https://www.amazon.com/Slimy-Grimy-Granular-Tub-1-Pound/dp/B0000AXNLW

[​IMG]

Sarge likes this.
  3. SealBeacher

SealBeacher New Member Founding Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    2007 Cobalt 262 wakeboard tower
    496 Mag HO
    Nissan Armada
    In have used Bar Keeper's friend on a brush, leave on for about a minute. The Oxalic acid works wonders. Need to re-wax after application.

Tonka Boater likes this.
  4. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Agree, oxalic acid works the best. I had to switch to Slimy Grimy because the acid etched the bare metal on my trailer.

I'll give Bar Keepers friend a try.

Sarge likes this.
  5. NJordan

NJordan New Member Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Cayuga Lake, NY
    1998 Cobalt 293
    Meecruiser 7.4 Mag, Bravo 3 outdrive
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    Toilet bowl cleaner, we use The Works brand that you can find in your local dollar store. Mix it up with some water in a hand held pump sprayer, spray it on and hose it off. The bottom will be back to bright white without scrubbing. Just don't leave it on too long before you hose it off and wear a mask and eye protection.

Walt P likes this.