Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Depth Gauge loose in dash at 300 hours

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Chris Burger, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Chris Burger

Chris Burger New Member Founding Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Richmond, Virginia
    2013 Cobalt 232
    Merc 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3
    2013 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Hi Gents!

I would like to dedicate this repair to my ailing father who shared his love of boating and his ability to fix most everything with me. Love you Dad!

I noticed that my depth gauge (air and water temp too) had come loose and was not centered. I emptied the starboard under seat storage and removed the four screws holding the carpeted access board in place. From there I had tight access to the back of the gauge cluster. The issue was not just to tighten the nuts holding tension, but the two tension "arms" had splayed out, so just tightening the nuts wasn't going to work. Also, the hole cut for the gauge was too large so there was some play. I added some two sided 3M tape around the back of the gauge to assure the gauge would be snug in the hole. Next, I took the retention bracket "arms" and straightened them, then added an outward bend followed by and inward bend. This would allow tension, while allowing the bite of the "foot" of the "arms" to be wide enough to be outside the hole opening (from the rear) and still get a bite.

Anyway, the fix worked and the gauge is now aligned and snug in its original home.

As a funny aside, my GF saw me straighten the gauge when I was driving last weekend and joked I was OCD. She's a great girl, but her Robalo is mess (washed once a year...), while I keep my 232 in pristine shape. I am training her though, as she now wants me to "clean" her boat so her's will look like mine.

Best,
    Chris

Walt P likes this.
  2. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    God luck with the GF. I've been married 3 times and had a 4 year live-together relationship as well. Not one of these women could keep a car clean. I would wash their cars on the weekend and they looked like crap by Wednesday.

Hoping for the best for you. Remember....Its not how compatible you are but rather haw you deal with the incompatibilities.
    Shawn