Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Cleaning, Polishishing, Waxing - Advice/Tips/Tricks

Discussion in 'General Maintenance & Repairs' started by Tonka Boater, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Post your tips, advice, products, process for keeping your Cobalt looking it's best!

2. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Here's a video about polishing the non-skid surfaces on your boat. It's a misconception that polishing non-skid makes it slippery and unsafe...not true. I wax my non-skid all the time. It's the pattern and texture of not skid that makes it...well, non-skid.

Mad Mac and Walt P like this.
  3. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Since I had the gelcoat redone on my 262 last year, I wipe it down every time with a micro fiber cloth when we come in off the lake. I don't get any water spotting, and it stays clean all season. I start the season with a good waxing, and use a good cleaner wax above the rub rail when we anchor. I cant sit still very long.......

4. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    I do the same thing! When I have guests on the boat I throw them a towel when I come off the lake. I ask them to dry while I pull the plug and secure the boat.

Walt P likes this.
  5. Andy S

Andy S Member Founding Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Chapin, SC
    2016 R5
    Volvo Penta 300hp
    Ford F250
    For cleaning up stains, removing rust, water spot, mineral deposits or anything else my go to cleaner is Bar Keepers Friend. You can find it almost anywhere in the clearing aisle with the soft scrub products and what I like it has no abrasives. I have very pleased with how this products works and I am no way affiliated with the company just love the product. https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

Tonka Boater likes this.
  6. Chris Burger

Chris Burger New Member Founding Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Richmond, Virginia
    2013 Cobalt 232
    Merc 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3
    2013 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    I trailer my 232 to my local lake which is fairly clean, so my boat never gets very dirty. However, if time permits, I'll towel off any scum line after pulling out, and then wash the hull when back at home. When swimming I have been known to take a lap around the boat to remove and scum line just because.
    My spring routine includes 3M Finesse IT II (multi-stage polish) and Collinite 925 (wax). I use a smallish power orbital for the polish application, and a small hand applicator and synthetic towel for the wax (two coats). I may apply another coat mid summer or in the fall if needed. If done is a cool shaded area, both the polish and wax come off easily with little manual effort.

Tonka Boater, Andy S and Walt P like this.
  7. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    Andy, I will have to give that a try. I have one stubborn stain that I have not been able to remedy. Thanks!

Andy S likes this.
  8. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    That's pretty much my routine too except I use Starbrite Polish with PTEF and Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax and apply both with a Porter Cable buffer. I've heard great things about Finesse IT and Collinite and will try them when my current supply runs out.

9. Budman

Budman New Member

Oct 3, 2019
    Seattle
    2004, 240
    Volvo 8.1
    None
    I pretty much follow the same process as the folks mentioned earlier with the frequency of waxing, etc.
    Also, the one thing that I always do is towel off the blue Cobalt gelcoat after being on the lake. This REALLY helps eliminate those water marks... and I know, I know, "it's a boat!", but it's MY boat!
    The other investment I made was a custom Sunbrella cover. My boat sits out in front of the house on a lift all year (no trailer), but the lift has a canopy that keep 95% of water and sun in check. The cover covers 90% of the gelcoat and especially all the colored gelcoat. Just a plug for a good cover if your craft is out in the weather. Albeit pretty expensive, mine is still going strong after 10 years!