Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Carpet sticks to the boat

Discussion in 'General Maintenance & Repairs' started by David H, Mar 21, 2019.

1. David H

David H New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Seattle
    2004 Cobalt 240
    volvo
    Hi All, I have a 2004 240 bowrider and when I pull the carpet up to set up the table, etc, the black backing on the carpet sticks to the fiberglass, table top, etc. Has anyone used a product on the backing to keep it from sticking? The carpet is in good shape and I don't want to replace. Thanks!

2. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    David,

When I had factory carpet on my 2001 262, I had the rubber backing coming off entirely. I got a spray can of Flex Seal, and sprayed the areas that were coming apart. That seemed to work fine, and I don’t recall any transfer of the rubber after that.

Mad Mac likes this.
  3. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Yep, this is about the only way to fix it. I owned a few Sea Ray's before I switched to Cobalt and the rubber backing was a huge problem with their carpets. There were a ton of discussions and the only solution that worked long term was to spray with Flex Seal or a similar product.

4. Budman

Budman New Member

Oct 3, 2019
    Seattle
    2004, 240
    Volvo 8.1
    None
    I also have used Flex Seal and it worked great! I had to give the rugs a couple of coats in some areas. I also BRUSHED it on, as well as used the spray. I found the brushed areas covered much better.