Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

Blower question - run all the time or just at cranking?

Discussion in 'General Maintenance & Repairs' started by Boxman, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Boxman

Boxman New Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Greensboro, NC
    2000 226 Bowrider
    7.4 Merc
    Big Ole Yukon!!
    Proud new owner of a 2000 226 Bow rider, I come for the ski boat world. I have notice the blower needs to run all of the time to keep fresh air in the motor compartment, this is new to me. I am use to running prior to starting only...

Your thoughts and comments are welcomed!

2. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    I run mine 4-5 min before starting, and while at idle speed. Once up on plane I shut off. I turn back on when I go back down to idle speed.

Jevon Jamieson likes this.
  3. Keepin' It Classic

Keepin' It Classic Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Emporia, KS
    1979 Cobalt 19BR
    Volvo Penta 7.4 EFI/DuoProp
    2012 Ford F-150 w/3.5 EcoBoost
    Agree 120% with Walt. Admittedly there will be times I forget to turn it off, but that’s not a bad problem to have. Most important that when you’re idling to run it and 4-5 minutes before every start.

4. Albert

Albert New Member

May 17, 2018
    Wichita Ks
    1977, 18 foot Tri-hull
    235 OMC
    Suburban
    I agree, but let's remember the primary reason for running the blower prior to starting is to evacuate the possibility of any fuel vapors. At a young age I was taught to open the engine compartment on first use of the day to inspect engine for oil or fuel leaks, check oil and coolant levels (if applicable). This safety measure will also evacuate the engine compartment prior to cranking. I run the blower during this engine inspection process and during all operations below 25 mph. Once up on plane and at cruising speed the fresh air ventilation system will continue to evacuate the engine compartment of any volatile fuel vapors while supplying the engine fresh air required for operation. In warmer climates blower usage is extremely important as today's fuel vaporizes at a lower temperature.

5. Bob Rae

Bob Rae Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Canada
    Shopping
    None
    I run my blower prior to starting it. I don't otherwise run it, except when idling out of the marina.

6. justpushplay

justpushplay New Member

May 23, 2018
    SW Missouri
    1992 Cobalt 255 Condurre
    Volvo Penta 740A DP 454
    2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
    And off during refueling! Walt has it correct, I run ours anytime there is not enough air flow to ventilate the engine compartment.

Tags: