Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

232 vs 252 questions

Discussion in 'Just Looking' started by thunder550, Aug 16, 2017.

1. thunder550

thunder550 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1995 Cobalt 252
    502 Mag EFI
    2017 GLE43
    I'll be in the market soon for a late 90's or early 2000's Cobalt. My understanding is that 1995 - 2001 232 used the same hull design. Is this true of the 252 as well? Other than the length, are there significant differences between the two?

As far as engine choices, is the 502 more common in the 252, or are they both relatively rare?

When I check the classifieds it seems like there are quite a few more 252's for sale than 232's. Were there fewer of the 232's made, or do people just like to hang on to them longer?

The boat we end up getting will be primarily used for small local lakes near Phoenix and an trips to Lake Powell, but there's also a possibility that we may drag it out to San Diego Harbor from time to time. I've had plenty of experience boating on lakes, but none on the ocean. Are there significant advantages to a bigger boat in a harbor or inlet-type environment? I could maybe see leaving the harbor to see some nearby attractions, but only when good weather is in the forecast.

2. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Speaking from experience with a 1997 232, I think you've narrowed it down to some good choices. You can get a lot of boat for a reasonable price in the year/model range that you're looking.

You're correct on the production dates for the 232 and 252 as well. It was around 2001 that Cobalt started to transition to the walk-thru sun pads and some sleeker refinements in the interior. For example, my 232 has the bulky seats you see in late-90's go-fast boats. Around 2000-2001, Cobalt started going with bucket seats in the larger boats (over 22') as they phased out the 232 and 252.

The overall hull design is pretty much the same between the 232 & 252 with the main difference being that the 252 used the extra space to add a head compartment behind the passenger console. Again, from experience with different hulls on different brands and sizes, I would say the 232 has an almost perfect design. My boat cuts through waves and chop and glides across rough water like butter. The boat feels stable in all conditions. I owned a 1997 Cobalt 200 and it was a great boat but it wasn't as forgiving in choppy water. You really had to take it easy in the waves because you would get pounded and a good beam wave could feel a bit scary. Same goes for a 2008 Sea Ray 240SD that I owned. It was a big boat but it pounded the waves, unlike my 232 which cuts through or glides across depending on the speed.

In terms of the engine options. The 7.4L options are more common but if you're patient you can find a 502 Mag. I LOVE my 502, it's a BEAST and rock solid. The 7.4 is more than enough to power either boat and you wouldn't regret it at all.

3. thunder550

Aug 14, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1995 Cobalt 252
    502 Mag EFI
    2017 GLE43
    Ok, 232 it is. I remember the 252 feeling BIG, much bigger than our Tige 22', so that would be a concern of mine I think. Seems like the 310hp 7.4L Mercs are pretty common, I have come across several, but none of the 454 Mag or 502 Mags so far. Gonna have to keep my eyes open.

4. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    With no disrespect to Rob, I feel bigger is better when boating in the open ocean. I lived and boated in Southern Cal for 25 years and the Pacific Ocean was my only boating environment. I've made the crossing to Catalina Island (26 miles) probably over 50 times in a number of different size and styles of boats. A boat that's a bit heavier with a bit more length seems to get into a better "rhythm" on the ocean. Of course other factors come into play as well such as hull design, amount of "V" angle and speed.

Now, with all that said, if there is only a "maybe" that you will take the boat to the West Coast once every other year or so, don't let any of the above sway your decision. But if it were me, I'd be looking for the 252.

Keep us posted....
    Shawn

5. Walt P

Walt P Administrator Founding Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Prarie Creek Marina
    2001 Cobalt 262
    Volvo 8.1L Gi 375 HP
    I agree with Shawn. I have a friend that had a 220, and when the lake got choppy, he's experienced a lot of pounding and some bow wash over. He traded for an R5, and it cuts the water much better, with a smoother ride. I went for a 262, and when he rode with me, he remarked how smooth the ride was in decent chop. So, the extra length helps. Our friend who was helping me get the 262 made a great point, since we did not have a boat at the time- if you take your wife out for the first time and it is choppy, you will never get her back out on the water again. He advocated for a longer hull to cut the waves better.

6. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    I agree with both of you. I'm a lake boater and the 232 is perfect for me but I would go bigger if I were on bigger water -- whether its open water, Great Lakes or some of the huge inland lakes where the weather can turn ugly quick. The hull design between the 232, 252 & 262 in this era is basically the same so you will get a great ride with all of them but with the bigger boats you benefit from a wider beam in addition to the length and that will significantly add to the comfort.

I also agree about taking your wife out when it's choppy! My wife hasn't been on the boat since Labor Day 2015! She doesn't like speed so we puttered along but the lake was crazy busy and we got thrown around. Even the best boat gets thrown at slow speed in choppy, confused waves with big cruisers throwing wakes. I tried to tell her that we'd be better off getting on plane and gliding over the waves but she disagreed. By the time we got back she was in need of a chiropractor and her back was messed up for 3 weeks. That was the end of that. She wouldn't mind a bit if I went out 7 days a week but she's been burned and it will take time to get her back. Boating is now for me and the boys -- whether its my teenage sons or my buddies.

I politely and sincerely invite her on the boat every time I go out and she kindly declines...one of these days she'll join me :)

7. thunder550

Aug 14, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1995 Cobalt 252
    502 Mag EFI
    2017 GLE43
    I'm not too worried about my wife, she's been on some rough waters at Powell with me before. She wasn't too fond of it in the moment, but it doesn't seem to have had any long-term effect, although that was before we were parents and she can be pretty protective of our 4 year old at times.

I'll probably keep my eyes open for either the 232 or 252 and just see what comes available. I looked at the specs and the beam is the same on both. Freeboard and transom height is taller on the 252 by 5-6". Might be nice to have the extra 20 gallon capacity on the 252 if we were to take it on the ocean as well. Any idea what the fuel consumption rate is at a cruising speed like 30-35 mph with the 454 or 502 Mag engines?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  8. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    I avergage 3.3-3.5 GPH with my 502.

thunder550 likes this.
  9. thunder550

Aug 14, 2017
    Scottsdale, AZ
    1995 Cobalt 252
    502 Mag EFI
    2017 GLE43
    So with the 55 gallon tank that's almost 16 hours of run time, and with the 74 gallon tank it's about 21 hours. Either of those is probably sufficient for our needs.

10. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Your math is correct if you run it empty. Realistically, I fill at 1/2 tank but if I were running longer distance I would push it to 1/4 tank.

Expect 11-12 hours for 55 gallon tank in the real world if you run it to 1/4 tank. You also need to factor conditions and average speed too. These will affect performance.

thunder550 likes this.
  11. Tonka Boater

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    One other note on the subject. Engine maintenance has a big effect too. My first year with this boat, I averaged 4.5 GPH. I'm not sure how long the boat sat before I found it, but I attribute fuel economy to things like old fuel in the tank and lack of maintenance. I simply added fuel and changed the oil the first year I owned it. At the start of my second season, I burned the fuel to nearly empty, added fresh non-ox fuel, then had a complete tune up performed as well as changed all fluids & filters, pulled the drive to have it inspected and aligned, and had a compression check done.

After the tuneup I've been seeing 3.3-3.5 GPH ever since.

Walt P likes this.